View Single Post
      01-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

With respect to the selection of either D or S, I believe the current BMW DCT has several in between settings, I seem to remember 6 from a review. The reviewer thought there were, if anything, more than enough. The difference was in how abruptly the gear changes occur and presumably at what rpm.

I haven't driven one yet but would like to. Part of my adversion to normal torque converter autos is the complexity and part is the desire to choose my own shift points. And I am very comfortable with shifting after over 35 years. But there are times I would rather not bother and it seems like it would be possible to get comfortable with manually shifting an automatic after awhile (hopefully it wouldn't take multiple decades). But in terms of simplicity, it seems like DCTs will be more expensive to maintain for awhile until the technology matures some and could be permanently more complex to maintain than a manual, possibly worse than a torque converter auto (which is where I would put them currently).

Jim