View Single Post
      08-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Oil is more than just oil. What I mean is... I use to use Mobil-1's 0w40 LL-1 (european blend) oil in my US spec 135i over here in Germany. I switched to the German made Castrol RS Edge 0w40 (LL-4 bc I use German low sulfur fuels) and notice the oil temps run a lot cooler with the German Castrol. Two needle widths cooler. Some have also posted here that they noticed teh same with the 5w30 Castol oil sold thru US dealers. You might just stick with the Castrol oil sold thru the US dealers. I think there is a reason why BMW says to use Castrol oil.

As for engine coolant... you can run a test for the freezing and boiling point. Sounds too early to change it though. You can also test the coolant's acidity - to see IF you need to change it.

IF you are really worried about LIMP MODE... maybe pony up the dough for a BMW Performance Power Kit (PPK)- that has the extra cooling raditor (coolant) and a HD radiator cooling fan, new spark plugs and a ECU reflash tune for 322 Hp. Its teh hardware that might be the most helpfull. Or you can buy the 335is radiator fan (from the PPK) to increase your car's cooling ability.

Depending on who is running your HPDE changing teh brake fluid in teh same month before teh event should be fine. You might even just buy a Motive pressure bleeder and do it yourself. bc after each event your brake fluid will most likely be boiled and have air in the system.

I would change the oil before each driving event as well.

Dackel
Appreciate 0