Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
Why is it way too aggressive?
I would assume they are going to make a full titanium system, not a slip-on or steel one.
And a full titanium system, is $5000 for the 335i one, $5800 for the M3 one. Not to mention, there's no reason it would be less complicated or have less material (unless you're talking about the few inches less of pipe they need; but even then) than the M3 or 335i.
Not to mention, there are a lot more 335i's and M3's; which is why they'll most likely only make one system (full titanium), with the lack of potential customers. And with fewer potential units sold cause of the smaller market, they'll have to recoup that in a high price.
Even if it doesn't end up at $6000+(a small markup over the M3 model), it definitely won't be cheaper than the $5000 335i price point.
For what you want, half of $6000, you can just barely buy the slip-on titanium system for the 335i.
Don't mean to be the Debbie Downer here, but with so few of us, I doubt they'll make the 3 systems that M3 and 335i owners are offered, and they definitely wont price whatever they release at a price point under their M3 and 335i counterparts.
This is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it. Why do I think $6K is too aggressive - very simple - the pricing is too aggressive relative to the value of the car. $6K on a $47K car is 13% of the value of the car. For what - a slightly exotic sound, that delivers a handful (if that) of real HP gains. Of course it will deliver intanglibles like aesthetics, looks, perhaps perceived status. And to each their own, to some maybe all that is worth it. Heck, as we know there are always label lovers that would buy it only so they can brag they have the most expensive exhaust made for the platform.

The issue is not whether the manufacturer can justify the price, but can the buyer do so? Sure, based on your reference to the M3 and 335i, it sounds like the manufacturer can charge a ballpark figure near there on a the relative basis. But will buyers fork out that much for a mod which at the end of the day is largely sensory. Or would they rather spend that amount on upgrading the car in other ways (go-fast mods), or even spend it in a completely different way (e.g. pay down their mortgage).

The manufacturer I am sure will have his own internal profit metrics. They can decide to price it high and expect a handful of customers (i.e. boutique style approach). Or they can decide to price it lower and rely on higher volume. At the end of the day, it is totally their prerogative, and I can't blame them whichever way they decide to go. But they also will have to factor the cusomter's demand curve, and how price elastic it is. Given this is an 'entry level' ///M (absolutely no pun intended), I recon the demand curve of the average customer is very price sensitive/elastic.

But just saying $6K is not aggressive because that is what they charge for other cars bears no relevance. Compare to other companies out there (see my link to Capristo which by no means is less impressive than Akra). See their craftsmanship and product base, and then see what they are charging for pieces of art for cars that cost 8 times or more than the 1 ///M.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0