04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #71
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Hi folks, I'm looking to do this myself soon. Think it'll be my next mod. Only problem I have is removing the downpipe bolts, as mine are rusted on pretty good. I tried removing them a few weeks ago and my socket just turned on the bolt. I've since got some special bolt removal sockets, but I'm not sure if they'll fit in the tight space.

Any other tips? I already tried soaking it in penetrating oil and WD40.
My old downpipe nuts were pretty rusty too. I just soaked them several times with WD40. Also make sure you are using a high quality socket. Not a cheap Chinese set. Sometimes if your sockets are old and worn out... you can strip these copper nuts. Its always best to use (relatively new) tools.

The nuts are 13 mm's - I believe. I used a quality 13 mm 6 point (1/2")socket to get mine out. I was afraid of one of them would strip - thank God they all came off fine. I cleaned up the old stud threads with a wire brush and more WD40.

IF your old nuts have rounded off edges... maybe use a 13mm 12point and a hammer to drive the socket onto the old nut. Then go slowly counter clockwise. Or those specialty sockets to remove rounded off nuts.

Most hardware shops sell small "burners" to use to remove stubborn bolts. They are in the soldering section in the hardware store(s).
Appreciate 0