10-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #79
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
We started the season on Motul 600

The reason I asked is because there are some brake fluids that become very acidic and corrosive at very high temperatures. I have heard of cases where the brake fluid actually "eats through" the coating on some pistons and creates issues. Castrol SRF was one of them. Castrol has even changed formulas a few times to try and fix it. This is obviously a different situation since the pistons actually look like they are cracking.

What pads are you guys running? I ask this question because there are no proper aftermarket options that I know of. There are a few people custom cutting larger pads to fit into these calipers, I wonder if that could have any connection to this problem. It's hard to believe something is getting hot enough to crack pistons. You would hit MOT on the pads first, or as someone else mentioned, warp rotors.

Brembo has the strictest R&D and testing procedures in the industry. These are obviously OEM parts, and not designed for heavy track use, but Brembo's testing procedures go beyond just simulated daily driving. They test each and every product to total failure to realize every "weak link" or problematic combination that they can find that would come up.
Appreciate 0