View Single Post
      06-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

my "sailboat light" is on, what does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I know I am resurrecting this, but just found this vid which explains how to check the coolant. What the guy in the vid is saying, is what I'd expect based on the diagram on the coolant reservoir - which is a little different than what has been said in this thread for the most part.

Basically, when cold the coolant dipstick should pop out of the reservoir to indicate things are fully filled. If it is just flush with the top, you could stand to add coolant.

I noticed my radiator fan was going nuts (and it is not even that hot). Checked the level and my float is below the threads right now. Guess I'll add a bit of distilled water, can't get any bmw coolant until Monday.

Well... I guess we know now not to take our cars into Dan Jacobs BMW! ...just kidding!

That is not the correct way to check the coolant. It says so right on the coolant exp tank/res. You always want to check the coolant level bone cold, not when its hot(like in that video)!! That is why the coolant dip stick popped up like that. Defending the dealer... its hard for them to work on a cold engine, bc everyone just drives to them and say HEY my coolant is low(my "sailboat light" is on, what does that mean?)... so thats probably why they made this video like this. They should have been more clear on the procedures though.

Here is what the coolant level (dip)stick should be when cold....

Name:  coolant res  max min  IMG_2015.jpg
Views: 15169
Size:  147.4 KB
Appreciate 0