View Single Post
      05-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #34
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Reviving a thread from last year here based on my experience of the HK system in my 2013 135.

People's opinions are only relevant to what they are comparing it to and what their expectations are. I guess I would describe myself as somewhat of an amateur audiophile. My home system is probably very elaborate by most people's standards

As an upgrade over the basic system the HK is actually a decent option, I got it in the hope that I could tweak it to satisfy my needs, but unfortunately it doesn't measure up. After 3 weeks of playing with the settings, including countless hours of google time, I am now resigned to the fact that I will be looking at aftermarket options.

The mid bass is just not tight enough and the sound is just too bright and fatiguing. I had top of the range Focal splits installed in my previous car, with a small rear Hertz sub, Alpine amps and Dynamat. The system was tuned by a local guy with a great reputation in car audio. The Focal tweeters can be described by some as a little bright but these HKs are considerably brighter. My previous system was the envy of all who heard it for smoothness and clarity and those who have been in my new beemer have all commented on the "disappointing" sound in comparison.

Did I expect the HK to be on a par with my previous system? No of course not, I'm not delusional. But I was hoping for something I could live with.

So I will soon be looking at upgrade options and obviously spending a bit of money. You get what you pay for.......

Last edited by cat-like; 05-28-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0