IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargizmo View Post
goeslikeschnell,

I have a problem with N55 stalling that may be similar to yours.
Simptoms: engine silently shuts off without a tremor or CEL when cold - and i'm talking about first 5-10 minutes of trip. Tachometer is jumping wildly between 500 and 1000 rpm prior to stalling.

The stall is one-for-a-trip thing btw. The car restarts normally after and RPM never goes back to 500 until the end of the voyage, no matter what. Next day the story repeats itself.

Servicemen checked the error log and found no entries. They emptied the onboard computer memory, erasing every acquired "habit". Which helped for a day or two. Then the stall returned.

The solution was simple: to warm up a car for 3-5 minutes prior to driving. A car never stalled again.

Hope this might help, cheers
Your car is not fixed they just mask the problem! The manual even says to start and drive off so if you can not do that something is wrong with your car. I would not let the dealer get by with that. If you keep your car out of warranty you risk paying for it when it rears its ugly head out of warranty. I find it amazing the dealer tries to fool people like this to get out of fixing a fairly difficult problem on the car. Good luck.