View Single Post
      09-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
pinternational
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg 135i

exhaust tone since dp, mid & giac s2 install - help!

hey all. so as the title suggests I got catted AR DPs, maddad mids (already had eisenmann race catback) and GIAC S2 about a month ago....oh and the DP fix from burger. I'm wondering if my exhaust tone is normal....

I live in the city like RIGHT downtown and drive pretty rarely, so when I do drive the car doesn't get to open up much, or get to operate at ideal operating temps for long. I have considered this as a possible reason for why the exhaust sounds the way it does, but I have no clue. I feel like the tone isn't quite right and hope someone can make enough sense of my ramblings to suggest possible causes.

So... listening to the exhaust, the best way for me to describe it is almost as though the exhaust has a frog in its throat. kinda muted or like SOMETHING is restricting the flow of the exhaust SOMEWHERE around the middle of the exhaust creating backpressure, keeping the sound somehow dampened, muted...and froggy! It also feels maybe slightly boggier accelerating from lower RPM, Either from launch or at cruising speed. this feeling lasts from about 1600 RPM to about 2800-3k RPM at which point the power feels more free and open and it comes on smoothly from there to redline.

does this make any sense to anyone? it's so hard to explain in words when I know a sound clip would probably have said it all so much better, but I don't have one right now.

please suggest! thank you!

p.
Appreciate 0