View Single Post
      05-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I went to the BMW Performance Center Wednesday to see the cars run the PC track. We got there before the cars so we had an hour to wander around as they came in before they went on the track. The most popular tire seemed to be Michelins. I am assuming PSS because that is the highest rated in the reviews I've seen. Some had the lettering pretty well worn off but none had chunks missing. We didn't watch all the runs but saw the faster cars (and 1 mini-van) run. I drove this track in M-school and I didn't think all the drivers were pushing real hard. But the leaders certainly were and the leading Nissan had Michelins. The cars all had over 3K miles at this point.

I thus think that Michelin PSS tires can last 3500miles of even hard track use. Because there are a bunch of them that did in the One-lap competition. I guess you also proved that they can come apart earlier if you push them hard enough. I've been on hot-laps, hwoever, on this track where a driving instructor was sliding each turn. The tires still didn't chunk - they just got worn quickly.

Jim