View Single Post
      08-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #321
verdespider
verdespider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Why so many different answers??

I have been reading about this mod for almost 2 years and never got around to trying it, mostly because each answer or post has a different comment about ECU codes, no ECU codes, Golf Tee, Zip Ties, Under Car, Trunk, this, that and the other.

I really want this mod not for louder exhaust or better performance, but to stop the clacking of the flapper when I am driving with the windows down. It is so loud, especially when I am driving through a tunnel, that I am really surprised BMW didn't add some type of damper to quiet the actuation. I can hear it when I am slowing down to make turns too, so basically it is just driving me nuts and today I took a look at the threads again and peeked at the car.

My solution might be covered in other threads but I couldn't find what I did, so here goes... And I am open to comments as well.

Instead of jacking up the car I did the mod in the trunk. But I didn't pull the wire as other have done, which may or may not throw a code. I pulled and capped the muffler vacuum line from the valve. Vacuum caps are easy to get at any auto parts store for cheap. The vacuum line with the yellow is the one to pull - see picture. This way the computer has all connections, the vacuum lines are all attached and it is super easy to reverse. Also, since it is in the trunk you don't really have to worry about plugging up the open line or tie anything up.

I was tempted to cap off the vacuum line in the engine compartment where the line feeds from (there's a Tee on the diver's side) but that is my next experiment. This would avoid any future vacuum leak issues and since this line also feeds the brake booster might be a better idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0