View Single Post
      11-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
macoutu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^ Thus, I will ask did anyone note any problems ( transfer case, driveline shunt issues, balanced) associated with these non BMW approved tires? Also, kindly state whether your experience is with RF or Non-RFT. I had 3 sets of the WR2 ( year round use) on non-BMW's, excellent for my location not too much snow.
I've run Hakka 7's run flat on the X1 last winter, which included city driving with a few longer distance highway trips. I did not notice any issues whatsoever. Handling was good, and tires would loose grip in a predictable manner when pushed too hard.

I think the approved tire approach is just a product development thing. It allows BMW to have tires made specifically to meet their specs and test out their ideas on RFT (i.e. H2 hump or whatever they call it) and in return the tire manufacturer gets some guaranteed business. It's a win-win for them. Sometimes this will translate to nice product evolution for the consumer and sometimes it will just translate to overpriced pieces of crap like the Eagle LS2 on my car.
Appreciate 0