Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

ER Competition Oil Coolers install

[Posting here since you guys are the most likely to install these]

How many of you have installed these?
SteveAZ? I think you have?

Tried to tackle the install this weekend and the car is still in pieces...

A few issues I ran into:
  1. The installation instructions are not for the 1 series - or at least not my version of it. The instructions don't talk about the horn bracket (the fact that it has to be removed), the spray nozzles in the bumper etc. Not having the right instructions sure makes dis-assembly harder...
  2. Somehow there was no bracket for the driver side oil cooler included. I'll have to order that ASAP to get my car back on the road.
  3. My coolers came pre-assembled with the shroud and all. Making it near impossible to mount them! Somebody here mentioned cutting an opening at the back of the oil cooler for a wrench to go in. I did that on the driver side and it helped. In fact, that's the only way it can work. Why ER didn't think of that is beyond me.... The instructions for mounting the oil coolers are completely useless in that regard.
  4. With the screws this inaccessible, I'm not sure I can adjust the mounting position at all. My tires aren't on yet, but even if I have rubbing issues, I'm not sure what I can do at this point.

My questions for your:
  • Was your kit complete?
  • What did you do about your horns?
  • Any rubbing issues (please state wheels/tires)?

Also would be helpful if somebody would post a picture of the inside of the wheel-well with the coolers mounted.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0