08-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Gorm135
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm135 View Post
Pikes Peak or Bust!
Attachment 886934
Here is another idea. I admit it is a bit of a stretch but I think it would be a fun way to end the summer. Let’s have our own scenic drive through Colorado’s mountains and have a hill climb to the top of one of our 14teeners, Pikes Peak, and pose for a 1addicts photo op.

So here is my sales pitch and the purposed route.
Attachment 886935
Attachment 886936
Meet up at Red Rocks in Morrison. Head south on highway 285. Take a slight detour onto a small climb to pretty views and empty (no bikers) twisty foothills roads, Turkey Creek Road to Pleasant Park Road. Join back up shortly with highway 285 to cut off towards the springs Co Road 126/Pine Valley Road - Highway 67 for our long stint of the drive (50 miles). 2 hrs into our journey we hit Woodland Park for possible lunch and fuel as the next stop is 14,000 feet up. Climb up Pikes Peak highway to the top of Colorado for a photo op and show Stelvio’s Pass who’s boss (yah right). Pikes Peak Highway is a toll road of $12 per person, there is a printable coupon (http://www.springsgov.com/SIB/files/...upon%20Big.gif) for $2 off.
Attachment 886937
Then highway 24 to I-25 back to Denver. Total round trip is looking at somewhere between 6 hrs including lunch.

I am thinking this mega day trip could happen Sunday August 25th or Saturday August 31st. Let me know your thoughts and dates
Let’s keep to the main plan. Meet up at Red Rocks Amphitheatre Upper South Parking Lot at 9:00 am and keep to the route as listed above and try to be in Woodland park by noon, and the climb to Pikes Peak from there after lunch.

So that's the plan meet up at 9:00 am Saturday August 31st Red Rocks Amphitheatre Upper South Parking Lot.
Appreciate 0