View Single Post
      05-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
ShortShift
Private
Rep
Drives: b7 a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
Wanted to get some thoughts and experiences from you guys on hitting limp mode. I've got my first track day in the 135i coming up in a month and I am trying to figure out if I need to install an oil cooler so I don't hit limp mode. My car is stock, but does have the factory M-sport oil cooler. I'm expecting it to be in the 80s in June in Kentucky. 20 minute sessions.

So basically, what are my chances of hitting limp-mode and is an oil-cooler the best place to start to avoid that? From what I've seen it is, but correct me if I'm wrong.

i have never had limp mode at the track and have done 25 track days with the stock cooling system. 70/30 water to coolant mix, purol 10w40 motor oil. oil temps stayed around 270 unless i was at big willow or ACS and flat out on the straights. i run my heater on, i also short shift and sometimes go a gear up on straights. i also do a slow lap in the middle of my session or if i get stuck in traffic or mess up a lap ill take minute to cool down the car and myself before i go at it again.

fresh oil and fresh coolant with water wetter should help you. if your planning to upgrade your oil cooler make sure you get one that will do the job you want. do it once and do it right. i waited till i could get the ER dual comp kit with the shroud.
Appreciate 1
BimmerAg425.00