View Single Post
      12-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #59
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

October-November 2023 - Crankshaft Pulley Issues
For the longest time, I had a noise that I thought was clutch chatter, but it turned out it was my crankshaft pulley. When I first inspected it, I noticed it had some play-in. So I took a closer look and noticed that one of the six bolts is missing and just assumed it backed out. So I tried to remove the other five and snapped all five of the remaining bolts. When I took the pulley off I could see that the crankhub capture pushed up against all the bolts, and ate away at them causing them to snap. My crankshaft pulley surface were damaged from vibrating, along with my crankhub.

I at first I though no big deal I'll just extract the bolts, clean up the crankhub a little, and toss a new crankshaft pulley. Nope. I think the bolts got stretched because when I tried to extract them I just kept snapping the extractors.

At this point I realized my crankhub was done for, which wouldn't be that much of a pain in the ass if I had a standard crankhub, but I didn't. Mine was pressed in and to remove it you need to bolt on the puller with the 6 bolts that are used to hold the crankshaft pulley. Well, that's a problem since all of mine have bolts stuck in them. I ended up welding the puller directly to the crankhub and was able to remove it without too much issue surprisingly.

After getting everything back together the car seems to be running the same as before so I don't think the vibrations did any major damage internally to the motor.

I no longer hear the noise I thought was clutch chatter, but I do still have vibrations that I can really only notice on decel above 5k rpm. I suspect it's something with the flywheel because I have no clue what else it could be.

December 2023 - Vac Damper
I threw on the vac fluid damper as more of a preventative measure, and to see if it could help with some of my vibrations. It feels like it got rid of some of the minor vibrations and the car feels slightly smoother overall, but whatever is causing my major vibrations is still doing it. Another benefit is the car seems to rev up slightly quicker after installing the fluid damper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1