View Single Post
      04-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
Last week during my trip to Germany, My friend and I spent 2 hours on Nurburgring on the day before I flew back

He had a 4 laps pass that will expire this April so we decided to put two bimmers to the the test. (09 E82 135i His car and 09 E92 335i His Brother's car)

Both cars have around 15K Km (9K miles) and they are stock running a Non RFT tires (Pirellis)

we did a lap on every car and frankly we were expecting the 135i to be better than the 335i because it has the same engine on a smaller car but it was not the case..

On the 335i I was taking the corners easily and i felt more in control. on the 135 it was more difficult..

after the 4 laps i was completely shocked about the 135 and I told my friend who said he felt the same I will buy two more passes and I will take the cars to the "Nurburgring: GP (3.7 km)" and I will time both of them.

I started with 335i and I did ~1:57
on the 135 I got ~2:01!!!!!!

I checked online and I saw that on GP the fastest 335 time was faster than the fastest 135 time by 3 seconds.
It's a common lust induced misconception that the 135i is faster all around than the 335i.
Yes, in a straight line the 135i out accels it's larger brother, but in the real world of handling, power to weight can be outclassed by a better suspension. The 1 really does lack the mythic magical sport suspension tuning of the 3 sedan and coupe.
That is the only thing, a big thing, I miss about a 3 series.

After having my 135i for 10 months, if I were shopping today, I would probably go for the 335i, due to the better suspension and overall confidence in better handling. Unless of course, the N55 has been tweaked in the suspension department?
I've tried to find out if it has, but I think that no info on that means that BMW didn't take the oppor-tune-ity to fix this glaring issue.

I've got 2 more years with my 135i, so BMW, you've got a bit of time to correct this!
Appreciate 0