View Single Post
      05-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Depo, Sonar, Spyder, and the people who sell them - suffering from TMI!!!

Hi,

I am suffering from Too Much Information.

I am one who does some research before posting; in this case it has led me down some crossine paths.

I have a 2009 128i with halogens and want to have the AE look. In researching this, it seems that styles, manufacturers, and processes have come and gone in and out of vogue as the breed has matured. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since Sarracino89 went through the process.

Halogens or HID - inclined to keep the stock halogens as they seem to be less likely to throw codes with the car's fiddly computers. I could be talked out of it with near-guaranteed chances for success based on your experience. The last thing I want to have happen is to throw codes and give me issues. If I am only adding AEs then I am simply changing the DRL, right? No need to worry about codes?

What kind of AE?- seems to be a case of either ordering new headlights with them installed or retrofitting my own after a trip to the oven. I prefer to pick option A... order them. Currently it seems the Depo V2 offers the best value in terms of their AE look... not as yellow as V1. There is much talk of exchanging LEDs - has the V2 addressed the AE color issue?

I have found a vendor that has what I think I want. MB has a pulldown list where I can select HID or Halogen, I can select the temp, I can select this 'error-canceling' module (do I need this?). Some have complained about MB early on but no complaints lately. Any recent experiences? Better vendor?

What about fishcake 321? Has his product improved? There were some complaints about him away back; are they still valid?

There are a lot of references in the posts to vendor pages but when I get there there's nothing listed for the 1 series or it's an upgrade for folks with zenon (same as HID?) already who just want better AEs.

So, what is the current favorite/best practice for adding AEs to a halogen system; I am ready to get this mod underway after a year of poking at it.

Thank you!!!!