12-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
If you're going to pony up for a "winter" set of wheels/tires, you should go with regular winter tires and forego the performance winter tires. If I'm not mistaken, Maryland tends to see a lot of icing conditions like you experienced the other day, rather than heavy snow. That being the case, normal winter tires will serve your purposes better because performance winter tires are really intended more for snow rather than icy conditions. My $.02!
Having used both studless ice/snow and performance winters on an E46 through 9 DC area winters, I'd respectfully disagree and recommend the performance snows. We have had little ice in the past 5 years and normally receive only about 10" of snow for the entire season.

The "regular (studless) snows" make the car feel imprecise, sort of like you are steering through jello on dry roads - which is most of the time in our area. I especially liked the good handling Dunlop Wintersport M3s, which are now available in a RFT version should you be so inclined.

The main reason that we got 50"+ of snow last winter is that I got tired of doing the semi annual changeovers and opted for all-seasons. My punishment was sliding off my driveway into a woodpile!

Tom
Appreciate 0