View Single Post
      05-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #20
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Jeff, I agree with you...I posted that list to illustrate that U.S. oil comes from everywhere.
And you are right...something like 70% of existing oil reserves are in the Middle East.
The Saudi's particularly are sitting on top of huge oil fields with incredible pumping capacity to glut or squeeze the international
market at a moments notice.

You talk about how we should change or modify our energy consumption...but how do things change when you have the major
American manufacturers pushing the most ineficient modes of mass transportation? And they do it by convincing men that
part of the identity of masculinity is to have an energy-wasting pickup truck. Hey, and it works - small trucks (pickups/SUV's)
still outsell cars in the U.S.
My next door neighbor has a humongous SUV. I've asked why he has it and he says for hauling...
the only thing I've seen him haul is his groceries. It's smoke, it's mirrors, and it's corruption.

For example, take the case of Chad...if ever there were a basket-case of a country then this is it. Before oil began being exported
by Exxon (Esso) in the 90's Chad was the 10th poorest country in the world. Now it is 4th. The people there have been screwed
out of reaping any benefits- most oil workers in Chad are American and Phillipino.
Chad signed a ruinous deal with the World Bank and IMF
to pay off loans at the expense of shutting down the few programs in place aimed at creating jobs.

You've mentioned someplace on the forum that your 3-series gets = or better gas mileage than the 4 cyl Asian import it replaced.
That's part of what BMW does- works to make some of the most fuel-efficient powerful internal combustion engines for the mass market.
For me, it comes down to proritizing values...and somewhere in the mix has got to be fun as well as responsibility.

Appreciate 0