06-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #29
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post
To play devil's advocate here, I think people might be reading into this drone as being a problem as opposed to a symptom. As we all know, extracting extra performance via a free flowing exhaust leads to less packing and more noise. Drone comes from a combination of resonance within an exhaust system combined with the area within, and layout of, the interior of the car. The only drone I've experienced comes under load; the more load, the noisier the drone tends to be. But coming from an R53 Mini Cooper S with a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, the 1M is equivalent to a quiet walk in the park.

We want our cars to perform. We want our cars to sound aggressive under throttle. In my opinion, some added noise in the cabin comes with the territory.
+1

This Drone issue is one of the reasons why most Autos these days can't even be heard. We asked for a better sounding M car and BMW gave us one. Why bitch about the fact you just bought a Limited Edition Sports car with a louder than Toyota exhaust system. You can always buy a 135i muffler if you want and go back to a quiet system. Or turn up the Stereo.

My 05 Subaru STi with a Turbo Back high flow system is quite loud always and yes there a few points on the Tachometer where it drones a bit but I paid to increase both the performance and the noise.

I know you can't please everyone all the time but guys these cars are not for everyone. That's why they don't have an Auto Transmissions as well.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 06-04-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0