View Single Post
      09-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Need help trouble shooting HID AEs

So when I bought my used 08 135i, it already had HID angel eyes installed. Last week, the passenger side AEs stopped working. I didn't buy/install them so I didn't know which vendor it came from or how it worked. First thing I checked was the fuse. That was ok. Next I swapped the ballast from side to side. No change, the passenger side AEs still didn't light up. I also checked the voltage coming out of both ballasts. Both looked normal. So I'm guessing that everything up to and including the ballasts are working properly. I wanted to switch up the HID bulbs to see if the passenger side bulbs are just dead but the way its wired up, it makes it really hard to swap them. Here is a wiring diagram I drew up.

There is this long device that is shrink tubed. Its on both side. I labeled it on the wiring diagram with a question mark. On the passenger side, its connected to the controller. But on the driver side, its not connected to anything.

There are four wires going into each side of the headlight housing. Two are from the ballast that goes to the HID bulb. The other two comes from the question mark device that goes to another connector. What does that question mark device do and what does it power? Why is only one of the question mark device on the passenger side connected to a power source?

Side note: I noticed that when I flash my high beams, the other xenon lights work but the inner of the four head lights doesn't light up. What gives?

So I'm guessing its either that question mark device went bad or the the passenger side or the HID bulb is bad on the passenger side.

I'm kind of fed up with these HID AEs as I can't figure out how get the passenger side to light back up. If I want to go back to just regular halogen bulbs, how do I do that? I never seen what the original setup looks like so I don't even know how I would plug it in.

BTW, these are the ballast, anyone recognize which vendor it came from?

Thanks for the help guys. Its been driving me crazy for the past few weeks that my AEs dont' work.
Appreciate 0