06-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #33
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
First, at least 50% of US BMW sales are leases.
Most of those are 3 yr leases resulting in mileage anywhere from 30k to 45k. BMW dealers can acquire these cars from auctions.
The dealer can choose to have the car "certified", and that costs money.
Certified cars also cost more in the market.
So, a dealer may decide that he can sell more BMW's if he keeps the price lower by not having it "certified". On the other hand, another dealer may feel that he can sell more BMW's by having the certified warranty, even though that car may cost more. It's a business decision dealers have to make.

Plus, the dealers have to decide which cars are worth certifying and which ones are not. If the vehicle is in exceptional cosmetic condition, then it may garner a certified warranty as it's more appealing to certain buyers.
If the car has been heavily used, then the added cost of certification may price the car out of the market due to it's poor cosmetic condition.

So, the answer is; it depends on a number of factors within the given market.
I don't want to go off, but I must. I've seen plenty of auctioned off BMW off leases that are cosmetically beautiful. That is from a BMW dealer to a non-BMW dealer ( with 1 month warranty). We are not talking about cosmetics. We are not taking about market. Stick to the topic. And if its cosmetically perfect then it should be certified, correct?
Appreciate 0