05-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #144
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
I originally went with Redline D6 because thats what the latest update on their website stated. Transmission shifted much smoother and less notchy than stock fluid.

I have a SSK and I noticed my shifter would shake in 3rd gear ONLY when the car got warm. If the car was cold the shifter wouldnt shake in 3rd gear. This wasn't your typical shake, it was violent and Im sure overtime it might have popped out of gear.

I read that the Redline D4 is thicker oil, this past weekend I drained the D6 fluid and replaced it with D4. Now my shifter has much much less shake in 3rd gear. Gears are smooth as D6, only difference is once oil has warmed up.

I believe anyone in warmer climates should get the thicker D4 oil.
Hmm, that's interesting, and makes me weary of picking the wrong fill. Though I suppose that's why I'm here researching it now. Would rather get the right fluid on the first go. I also have the SSK, plus the BMW clutch stopper and CDV delete, oh and the M3 gearbox mounts. However, even with all these little mods the shifting is still notchy and I can't get a good quick shift from 1st to 2nd. Also my car sometimes decides it doesn't want to go into first, which is frustrating at a set of lights, as it requires letting the clutch back out and then putting it back in before it lets me select first.

I'm hoping that fresh fluid would help with this and prove to be a very worthwhile "mod" (or routine maintenance to any petrolhead).
Appreciate 0