11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I've spoken to 5 tuners in the UK, all of which have said that the "mild" remaps do not require any change with regards to cooling. Apparently the 1M has better cooling than the 135i as well and also the boost levels are not being increased to levels that are even beginning to push the engine.

However I will check again with them to see what the deal is
This will depend on the length of the pull and the ambient air temp. I have a 1M, and it was tested on a Mustang Dyne in Cobb's facility in Austin.

We saw ignition correction on the stock map. This was due mainly to hot combustion temps, and intake air temperature is a main contributing factor.

We were able to get away with a beta 18psi map by taking ignition advance from a few degrees negative to about 4° positive max. Further testing and ignition advance will be added when my charge-pipe situation is solved. Stock ignition curve goes to about 8° - 10° btdc.

More ignition advance and/or more boost could be had with decreased IATs, which is commonly solved with a higher efficiency intercooler or methanol/water injection.

Basically, the stock 1M map is pretty "hot" right out of the box, and I suggest supporting mods for anyone who goes wide open throttle for more than a few seconds at a time.

You can get away with more boost on stock parts, but the DME will constantly be fighting to keep knock at bay.

This is assuming south Texas air temps and 93 octane fuel.

Last edited by Fundahl; 11-21-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0