10-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I do not have 2-3 grand to throw custom wheels+ tires on the car. I may use my existing E46/330xi 17x7 wheels (current winter setup) with 225/45 RS3 next spring. As an added bonus, they are lighter weight too.
1. That's why you do it right the first time around - this applies to wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, etc. You bought the wrong pads for your track setup. You're not happy with the clunking from your camber plates and admitted you should've either gone Dinan fixed or a different brand for adjustable. 225/255 PSS is great for street but not great for track. All this because you wanted to achieve the perfect dual duty setup which end of day is compromising many aspects of your car. You can still have a dual duty car, it just may require 2 separate hardware.

2. You can always find a track set, wheels & tires, on the classifieds. I see packaged setups selling for $1500 or less all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
The BMS aluminium spacers are light weight. The stock style 261 wheels, RE-11 tires, and stock rotors are not lightweight at all though. I noticed when temporary handling them yesterday versus my E46 BMW 330xi 17 inch wheels and winter tire setup.

Why I looked at SUV wheels, and they are about the same weight if you dig up the specs by the way, is to save money. Im considering downsizing to my E46 330xi 17x7 wheels (correct offset for the 135i) with 225/45R17 RS3's for a dedicated track setup next spring.

I dont consider my Cobb flashed 135i to be low power, so no problems dragging them heavy shoes around the track.
Going narrower for a track wheel (albeit correct offset) seems like a worse idea. You'll be limited to a 225 square on a 7" wide rim, which means even less rubber than what you have now. A 245 is narrow imo for even factory but considering you're running a Cobb tune, I would think you want even more rubber in the rears. Think hard before you waste money on 225 R-S3's only to realize you should've gone wider, again do it right the first time. Those 17's off your e46 do sound like a great winter setup.

End of day your car, but if you're really asking for our 'thoughts', I think most here who know a thing or two about this would agree you're going about this the wrong way.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 10-30-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0