06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
throwing this out there to see if anyone else has come across a similar issue.

i'm about to buy through a dealer far from my state. they tell me it's their policy for remote purchases on limited cars - like the 1M - to require the purchaser to come to the dealer in person to sign paperwork to ensure the person is buying for their own use and not for export.

while it's understandable a dealership would want to protect themselves from resellers since bmw penalizes dealerships that allow resells, an in-person sale affords no meaningful protection for the dealership. the flaw in reasoning is obvious - there's no practical difference between me signing everything remote and signing in person. if my intent was to resell, i could sign in person and then resell.

has anyone seen this before
The reason as to why some dealers do and some dont is that this paticular dealer you are dealing with MAY have already gotten "caught" doing this sell for export thing and is under scrutiny by BMW..

There was a BIG issue when the X6 came out... The reason why you dont see that truck/car so much around here ( USA) is that they all ended up oversees !!! south America etc etc etc ..

and to this... " if my intent was to resell, i could sign in person and then resell."

yes you could.... BUT it would be a used car as opposed to a new car off of an MSO as opposed to a title. This seems to matter for documentation / taxes / or other issues.

BMW is against Brokers. It damages there dealer body