View Single Post
      02-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #50
Sprey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Hi Gumball!

Sorry to hear the window tinting issue you have hasn't sorted itself out. I just reviewed the picture you posted on the other thread and compared it with my picture posted previously and actual car.

It is my opinion that your window tinter can do better job. I wouldn't go blaming them for poor workmanship right away, the dot matrix is a pain and from my experience required a lot of attention during the first 3 - 4 hours. However, I think you can achieve an overall better result.

I don't think you can ever get 100% adherence with no 'lighter' bubbles showing at all. It seems to me my situation is better than yours but certainly not 100% perfect. Curiously, I noticed in your picture was how some of these 'non-adhered' areas were on the inside edge, and not the outside edge (ie towards the rear of car). To me, that should discount the 'seeping' theory. Perhaps what you are seeing, which I did too in the first 3 - 4 hours after installation, is varying degrees of tack. That means the glue on the film was not fully activated. It may just need some massaging and hot air gun work by the tinter.

As to leaving a gap so there is no tint on the dot matrix area, personally I think that would look worse. The reason is that the window doesn't open parallel to the B pillar. The appearance would be that of differing angle vertical lines. Hard to explain but I try to imagine the window half open with an untinted channel where the dot matrix is.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you go.
Appreciate 0