04-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #76
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
It's good to be honest about how we will drive this car. There will be many moments when we will test the car's abilities with a little challenge here and there.

Let's face it... The 135i is a car that could easily seduce it's driver into having a little irresponsible fun once in a while. The temptation will be plentiful. The question is what will all of us do when tempted? Will we ever face a challenge at a red light? Will we give in to blowing the doors off of a challenging vehicle? The 135i will always be begging us for more. What will we do when challenged?
I can be honest that I may do some right foot exercise only alone and where conditions permit, but I would never zip in and out of traffic, or engage in anything that would force me to race anybody... especially through an area that I don't know what or who is ahead of me.

I do track events (DEs), carting, and run (and instruct) the chapter's autox series for my high performance fix, where I learn what my car, and more importantly, I am capable of. This is done in a safe environment, while I better my driving skills, in case I do happen to need to do emergency maneuvers off the track. I know I'm a much safer driver because of that, and I learn something new every event.

I had a friend (good friend at the time) who got a 12 year sentence with no chance for parole for manslaughter, due to killing somebody behind the wheel of his car in a high speed crash in New Hampshire. I don't know if the punishment was nearly enough. If I were the victim's family, I would be convinced it was not nearly enough. He got out a few years ago... Street racers are potential killers; either themselves or some innocent person(s) who just happen to be going about their way.

I think we've gotten to the point where there are stories in here that might encourage (even one person) somebody to street race. This site cannot condone that. I'm closing this, and ask that there not be any "kill stories" posted here.
Appreciate 0