07-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #85
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Tracked the 1'er at Streets of Willow (CCW config) a few days ago. No limp mode. Here's a numbers breakdown:

Car: 135i 6MT bone stock + 225/255 StarSpec Z1
Track: SOW - CCW
Best time: 1.34.1
Peak Oil Temp: 280*F
Aver. Oil Temp: 260*F
Coolant Temp: ~210-220*F (no coolant problems)

First time running Streets in a CCW config, and first trackday with the 1'er (lots of AutoX, canyon exp.). I was getting progressively faster each session, and I feel with another event under my belt, I will be putting up 1.32.x in the near future. Understeer wasn't that bad, especially coming from my AX background, where the 1'er is pretty pathetic. Number one issue was BRAKES. I could smell them on the high speed stops, and the pedal got quite soft, so I was going easier than I could have been. Also, those 280* oil temps scared me into not quite giving it as much as I had, let's call it, 8-9/10th's driving for me. After each session, I would leave the pit and drive slowly back and forth down the Willow Springs access road to get some air going into the brakes and pump them a few times to get the pedal back, and to cool the oil down. Seemed to work well enough, and once oil temps got down to ~220*, usually after about 10-15 minutes of driving, I felt good enough to bring the car back to grid, and park it with the hood up. Still need to inspect the front pads and at a minimum, put better brake fluid into the car, will likely pick up a set of more track-friendly front pads (the rears were sufficient enough for my level of talent). Also been eyeing those Ti shims that people have talked about, will need to get the new pads and take a few measurements while I'm down there. With the camber pins popped, my car is at -0.3* camber up front, yet tire wear was looking EXCELLENT. I kid you not, the shoulders get more hurt AutoXing (rougher pavement?). The stock suspension didn't even cope that bad, though I'm sure 1M/M3 bushings and better dampers will be in my future, along with wider wheels/tires. Have a set of Vorshlag camber plates that I need to install, but have been lazy. Also, no oil burning, indicator still reads the exact same. This is all very unorganized, and I'm sure that there is a lot that I am forgetting, but good to note none the less.
Cliffs: Cars that were "beaten" by a bone stock 135i with an average driver:
- Boss 302
- Modded Camaro SS
- Prepped MS Miata
- Every FRS/BRZ regardless of mods
- Porsche 911 of all variants (S, GT3, etc.)

Anyone ever run their 135i at SOW-CCW? Would like to know what a decent time is. I last ran it CW in my old Mazda, so CCW #'s are new to me. I would like to believe that with a bit more seat time, and brakes that weren't on fire, that I could hang on to those E90 M3's that were tearing it up out there.
WOW fantastic times for bone stock 1er, keep up the good work, and keep us posted on your future times
Appreciate 0