View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
neilq
Rep
Drives: '11 328 '09 128 '08 328 '00 Z3

DIY: E82 Forward Cargo Hooks

I hate run-flats so I carry a spare in my E82 trunk. The problem is the spare jumps all over the place whenever I drive "spirited". Unfortunately, North American cars only have the two cargo hooks in the very rear of the trunk. And they are worthless for securing a spare tire. A quick internet search makes it quite clear the forward two trunk cargo hooks are present in BMW's sold in other parts of the world. Figuring that the basic structure of all 1's are very similar it made sense to me that the mounting points for the hooks would be present in my car. So I removed the right side trunk liner (much more time-consuming than one would think) and voila, there were the mounting points for a cargo hook. Now knowing the location of the mounting points, I came up with an installation method that does not require removal of the trunk liner. Here is the method I used in case anybody is interested. It took me the better part of the afternoon to install the first hook but only about 45 minutes to install the other hook following the steps below. Your results may vary and I can't verify that this works on any car but my own.

BMW parts needed (one of each part for each side):
51-47-7-129-196 Fastening loop (metal hook)
51-47-7-130-768 Socket head cap with shoulder (Torx bolt)
51-47-7-132-893 Cover, fastening loop (inner plasic mounting plate)
51-47-7-129-652 Cover, fastening loop (outer plastic mounting plate)

It was easiest for me to do the work from the inside of the car with my rear seat folded down.

1) On the trunk liner mark the location of the hook mounting hole by using the information in the pictures below. Be as precise as you can. It's hard to tell the reference corner points from the pictures but it should be pretty clear when looking directly at your car. Measure from the center of the respecitve bend radii on the trunk liner. You can verify the proper spot by sticking an awl through the trunk liner. If it penetrates more than an inch or so you have found either the mounting bolt hole or the slot for the hook tang. Either way your location is good enough to drill an exploratory hole in the liner (as described in the next step).

2) Drill a hole through the trunk liner at the location marked above. It must be large enough for the Torx mounting bolt and allow for small inaccuracies in locating. I used a 1/2". Be careful to not let the drill bit bite into the metal behind the trunk liner. The liner is soft and the bit will quickly chew through with very little pressure. You should see the mounting bolt hole directly behind your freshly drilled liner hole. If your measurement is off and you see the rectangular tang hole (instead of the round mounting bolt hole you seek) then just cut away more of the trunk liner above the rectangular hole until you find the round hole. Make sure enough of the trunk liner is removed so that you can easily thread in the Torx mounting bolt.

3) I made a template for the trunk liner hole by tracing its outline from my 3 series with factory installed hooks (the hook parts are identical to those for the 1). Cut out the paper template and hole as indicated. Thread the Torx bolt through the paper template and into the mounting bolt hole. Hand tighten the bolt just enough to ensure the paper template is flush against the trunk liner. The attached template file should be of the proper scale use that instead of the picture below.

4) Trace the paper template outline onto the trunk liner. I had the best results using a piece of chalk. Remove the bolt and template.

5) Cut the trunk liner around the template outline. Note: keep your cut just to the inside of the outline. I used a vibratory saw.

6) Snip off the two mounting barbs on the inside plastic mounting plate. This is necessary in order to fit and maneuver the plastic plate behind the trunk liner. Interestingly enough I found these barbs had been removed from my factory fresh 3 series mounting plate.

7) Assemble the metal hook into the inside plastic mounting plate. Slide the hook/plate through the cut-out and behind the trunk liner. Turn the hook/plate at a right angle, slide the metal hook tang into the slot immediately below the mounting bolt hole. Then twist the hook/plate a quarter turn into position so the tang locks into the slot and aligns with the mounting hole.

8) Slide the outside plastic mounting plate into the inside plate. It might be necessary to trim the edges of liner hole a little to ensure a proper fit. Install and tighten the Torex bolt and you are done!

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
spidertri397.50
ayao634.50