View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #85
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer ///man View Post
The M Division hardly did anything to the 1M, not to take anything away. The ONLY things that had be be designed specifically for this car were the body work, axle back muffler, M gauges, M button and alcantara interior pieces.
I am not one of the people that thinks tweaking a 135 is dumb. I think they are great cars and wholeheartedly agree whoever spends the most money on their car will usually win whatever the challenge is supposed to be.

I have to disagree with your dumbing down of what BMW had to do to create the 1M though. First they changed the front left and right fenders. Then the inner shrouds. Then the rear fenders and inner shrouds. Then the valance below the rear bumper. Then the front bumper. That is no small amount of work. Then they redid the interior to what you see now. That includes stitching on all seats, door cards, door handles, shift boot, dash inlay and probably a few things I'm not counting. Then they redid the axleback exhaust. Then they replaced all suspension with M3 pieces. Spring rates are different, not sure about dampening. I believe the front subrfame is a hybid design, don’t know about rear. Then the engine was fitted with a different transmission. Then they added M3 brakes. Then they added new brake ecu. Then they changed the valve cover. Then they changed some cooling bits (fan speed or something like that, minor stuff I believe). Then they redid the ECU to work with new diff, new tranny, new brakes, new power package (same as 135is power), new M button, new brakes and possibly new traction control parameters. I’m sure there are a few dozen smaller things that I am overlooking or don’t even realize.

Added up that is a tremendous amount of work. Please don't fool yourself into thinking it’s not. I hate to make assumptions but I'm going to assume you do not work in the engineering or design fields. If you did you would appreciate just how much effort and testing went into putting all that together and realize how benighted thinking otherwise truly is.
Appreciate 0