08-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #21
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Wow, quite the discussion going on. WAY, i hear what you're saying, which is why one part of my original topic was "Are there any WA tuners?".

I've done a fair bit of research on the SSTT. Whilst it has been tested and proven not to throw fault codes, i'm sure it could and does happen. With all due respect to Andrew's work and the product he sells, I'm sure it's not immune to fault codes either. When modifying any car away from factory specifications, you would be naive to think that fault codes will not appear. Hey, you might get lucky and never see one, but that isn't to say that they can't happen.

With respect to the SSTT, it's a relatively unintrusive way of modifying your car, simply plug it onto your TMAP sensor. There is considerably less risk to this approach than your method of splicing in a module into the DME harness. All well and good if you have the support like you say, but for those without such support, the risks are higher.

What I like about the SSTT is it works to adjust IAT rather than play with boost and fuel maps, leaving the factory computer to handle all of that work. It's a relatively simple process to install and uninstall and once removed, leaves no traces. It gets modest results for reasonable money.

I'm not sold on it by any means. In fact, i'm hesitant to modify my car at all truth be known. I've been down that route with previous cars and its cost me good money after bad. However, if there are local tuners in WA, I'd quite like to go out and have a chat so I can make an informed decision.

Let's keep the discussion rolling tho :smile: