Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
trust me, they're true. I've driven a bunch of N54 powered cars... 335's, 135's, 535's. All were pretty quick but there is something to this N55. Don't think BMW just chopped a turbo off and said here ya go. The single turbo is a much healtheir size that the twins were and the addition of the double VANOS makes this kitty puuuuuurrrrrrr. Hell, just hearing the stock exhaust note tells you this car means bidness. I'm pretty sure if I clocked myself 0-60 I'd be hitting just a hair over 5 sec with the 6MT, I'm sure the DCT would do it just a hair faster too. Hell I can almost hit 60mph in 1st gear. The N54 just felt like it was under worked (and I know this is talking about a stock one but still). The N55 feels like its pushing itself a little harder and thus more sporty stock. My thoughts are - potential of N54 with lots of mods/tuning is really good, but unreliable as history has proven. The N55 should be more of a solid car with the single turbo which will most likely be able to handle ALMOST just as much tuning without so many issues. Also consider 1-2 yrs down the road, it's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade BOTH turbos but only 1/2 as much to throw a bigger setup on this if that's what you're after (and with a single turbo setup I think we'll see a lot more companies come out with turbo upgrades. I see a lot of potential coming out of this motor in the next few years. JB3 will most likely be out before the end of summer so with that in mind you'll probably just be getting out of your break in period anyway so that should get you going right off the bat until the rest of the world starts making parts which should be too far off.

On top of that someone else made a great point about your resale value taking a dump right away on the 09 since its now 2 MY's behind.
Appreciate 0