Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerdaschoon View Post
I dont care for the jammer but i would like to know how accurate is the radar detector? Does it warn of police cars in the area or just speed cameras?
I wouldn't use a jammer, I'm sure the cops can detect that you have one and that would be the end of you.

Radar detectors are pretty effective so long as the cops have their radar on. If they decided to have their radar off and zap you at the last moment, then RDs are not much use. Works best when there are other cars in the area and the cops are checking their speed.

Another situation where RDs are not much chop is when lasers are used. These devices are very directional and beam like, and measure your speed from a great distance and are point and shoot (ie. instant on when you are in their cross hairs). So although some RDs can pick up laser, often by then it is too late. One way around this is to get a special reflective cover or coating put onto you number plate that confuses the laser reflection (the number plate is what the cops aim at to get a reflection), so that they don't get a reading while meanwhile your RD has picked up the laser blast.

All in all they are still a bacon saving device.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0