View Single Post
      09-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #300
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

I test drove three cars before ordering my 135i coupe: a 128i coupe (no M Sport), a 135i M Sport coupe, and a 135i M Sport convertible.

I wasn't really interested in a convertible, but it was the only 1er available to test drive at the time so I took it for a spin. I couldn't believe how harsh the ride was. Going over bumps almost rattled my teeth. There was no way I could deal with that on a daily basis, especially in this town (Honolulu) where roads suck, and I figured the car would shake itself apart after awhile. I was hugely disappointed because I feared the tuned suspension and run flat tires were in large part responsible and that a lot of that harsh ride quality would translate to the coupe as well. Then, a week later, I test drove the 135i coupe.

My fears proved unfounded. The ride was firm but without any of the harshness I experienced in the convertible. Going over the same bumps was fine. They felt like two completely different cars. My sales guy said the harsher ride in the convertible was due to its heavier chassis, and I was expecting some difference in ride quality because of that, but the difference was so great I thought it had to be more than just additional weight. Whatever the differences in the two chassis, the ride quality in the convert was flat out unacceptable. If your car is anything like that I'm not surprised at the squeaks and rattles that have developed.

The 128i (non M Sport) without the tuned suspension and run flats was cushy by comparison but didn't have the handling prowess and power of the 135i coupe so my decision was easy. I went with the 135i coupe.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and hope things work out. It could be you got an exceptionally harsh one. These days same model cars are supposed to all come out the same, but that has not been my experience. Our Audi A3 gets crappy mileage and the DSG transmission is herky jerky compared to others, but that's another story.
Appreciate 0