View Single Post
      11-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Here is a pdf on the oil level sensor and how it works...
Thanks for the document. I thought this quote from the document was interesting

"Condensate that forms in the crankcase due to short distance driving can influence the permittivity. If the water is
mixed in the engine oil, it also collects around the oil condition sensor. If there is too much water in the crankcase:
In individual cases there can be an incorrect display of the oil level or a warning requesting that the oil be topped
up.
This ”false oil level warning” can be treated by means of a fault profile selection on the BMW diagnosis system,
whereby the permittivity of the oil is also evaluated. However, there is no direct display of the permittivity. The
permittivity depends on, among other things, the viscosity or age of the oil. This means that an appraisal of the
quality is not ensured in every case."

That's one of the problems I have with electronic dipsticks. I remember in another car I owned, water on the dipstick gave me an early warning that a lower intake manifold gasket was leaking. According to the BMW document, potentially the system would've prompted me to top off the oil.

I agree with some of the others. I'd like both electronic and a regular dipstick. If I had to choose just one, then I'd go with the regular dipstick.

Leif W.

Last edited by LeifW; 11-10-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0