07-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #39
Lima
vorsprung durch technik
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY10 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Things must have changed from when I did it in '06. I was told no issue, as they treated the Ring as a toll road, rather than a race track. Only thing they definitely didn't want me to do was take it outside Germany + Austria. And yeah it cost me something like AU$1,000 for 24 hours, with half being the excess kilometres.... Excess was either 2000 or 3000 Euros if I recall. I actually thought trying to go flat out on the Autobahn was more dangerous IMO!
Not sure when in 06 you went but I was there in May 2006. I had approval from the CFO to hire a 911 for Ring duties. I called the Avis Prestige call centre (based in Manchester too, haha) and they told me there was no insurance for a 911 at the Ring. I wussed out and went with an SLK200 from Europcar instead. Still 6 laps in that was still heaps of fun.

I looked into the Ring Taxi as well, but it seemed nigh on impossible to secure a ticket. As it turned out they weren't running the day we were there. I was planning on trying to bludge a spare seat if there was one going.

Anyway, nice to (finally) see these pics John I am very jealous.