View Single Post
      10-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

is that the outside or inside edge of the tire? outside edge would make sense for a camber-related failure, but you're suggesting that it might be the spring perch leads me to believe its the inside edge of the tire...?

if it's the inside, it cant really be the spring perch, because there should be no movement between the perch and the tire, as others have said, unless something is VERY wrong, in which case you wouldn't be complaining about your tire, but about the wild knocking sound coming from your barely-still-holding-together front suspension. a bad toe setting could cause extreme wear like this if it went unnoticed.

if its the outside edge, i'd be a little less surprised, as these cars maintain very little effective negative camber, and commonly refert to effective positive camber when loaded.

i should also note that this does look a bit like an underinflation failure to me. did you have your tpms installed? were they working? were they set to appropriate baseline pressures? i've seen a tire fail due to underinflation on a family member's car, and it looked really similar to this... the tire began to tear along the edge of the belt that was closest to the most worn area of the tire. as it began to tear, the heat built up and further softened the seam where the tire began to fail.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 10-16-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0