11-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #37
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff dude View Post
I've run Hakka 7's run flat on the X1 last winter, which included city driving with a few longer distance highway trips. I did not notice any issues whatsoever. Handling was good, and tires would loose grip in a predictable manner when pushed too hard.

I think the approved tire approach is just a product development thing. It allows BMW to have tires made specifically to meet their specs and test out their ideas on RFT (i.e. H2 hump or whatever they call it) and in return the tire manufacturer gets some guaranteed business. It's a win-win for them. Sometimes this will translate to nice product evolution for the consumer and sometimes it will just translate to overpriced pieces of crap like the Eagle LS2 on my car.
Thanks spiff dude. Your comments are valid and appreciated.
My question was to learn more as others have experienced issues, not Nokian specific.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898235

I will probably go with WRA rather than a dedicated Hakka as we are not mandated and the weather is milder with less snow than La Belle Province.

Nokian are not OEM tires, hence their profit margins are higher.
Naturally Nokian endorses BMW as per their website:

Does Nokian offer Run Flat winter tires?
"We do offer Run Flat winter tires and Run Flat summer tires. We have one of the most in depth winter tire run flat offerings which makes us a popular brand of choice for BMW owners"
Appreciate 0