09-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
I test drove a GTi, and I mean no offense by this, but I hated it. The suspension was stiff, it felt slow, it felt cheap, it was sort of boring, not much excitement.

The 128i is just a 135i with less power. It's often praised in it's own right for being the most "true" BMW because it's small, relatively light, RWD, and normally aspirated. The interior is nice, the ride is good, the styling is good, the engine is good, just don't get a 128 with a steptronic. The auto in the 128 is a GM unit and not the same as the previous 135 steptronics. The 6MT however, is good.

Depending on what options you want, the 128i may not be much cheaper than a 135. In my opinion, the only way to get a 128i is to get one without all the bells and whistles. 128i, sport package (not M sport), 6MT, that's it. Once you start adding, the gap between 128 and 135 becomes so small there isn't much reason NOT to get the 135.
I don't agree with this at all. I've driven in plenty of road course, autoX, and heavy timed events in all my cars (I know you have as well) I've driven plenty of GTIs..the MKVI, newest one, was really fun, frisky, and quick. Yes, it's FWD, but it just feels proper and screwed down. And, if I may say so myself, the interior is quite nice and class leading in its segment IMHO..seating is a little high and the suspension is a bit rough on the edges but it's handsome and sounds great for a four pot. boring, it is not. And, no one can argue the great mileage and the tuning community for the 2.0T. Not to mention the practicality and utilitarian flexibility it has. Different Strokes for different folks I guess.

There's a reason why it has won many awards including "Car of the Year" for several well respected magazines.Oh, of course, it isn't a 135i but to hate it is a little immature to me but then again, it's all subjective, what do I know?? I don't need 700hp to have fun in a car..in fact, the funnest car I've ever driven on a track was a 116hp miata with nothing more than an exhaust and intake.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 09-16-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0