View Single Post
      07-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
I was not expressing my opinion on what open source means. I was just stating an observation on what it appears to me to have come to mean in the market place.

"Open Source" in tuning is most widely known via ECUFlash in the EVO/Subaru community. I don't think that is open source either, but it is what has come to be know as open source in flash tuning. The cables are cheaper (and less capable) in that market, and the VINs are not locked, but other than that it similar. I can see how the VIN lock would be a distraction to many, but on the definition of what Open Source means, I don't really see any difference.
I saw a call to arms thread for an open source project asking for people to contribute what they could. His original thread in the original post was clearly talking about a full open source project, it could not have been clearer despite current claims to the contrary. I came to the thread late, as I have only just come onto the n54 scene, and was excited by the way the community embraced him and the ideas in the first post. It really was inspiring, to the point that I even offered whatever limited help I could several months after the project had started and the thread had laid limp. The bitterness I speak of is the disappointment in the complete redirection of the project. Then to read the claims in the new post that everyone had simply misunderstood his original intentions and that it had been a commercial enterprise from the get go, really just created more disappointment, in the attitude. As I stated above there are so many positives to this project and I doubt anyone who buys the device will be disappointment in the bang for buck that it offers, that I am sure it will all blow over shortly.

Edit: And you did ask
Appreciate 0