Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I read the introduction thread from start to finish and I believe where the disappointment stems from is that it seemed as though it was going to be something that would be released for free for the community. There was mention of a cable, tablet app, etc. All this hype built up and Rombinhood never indicated otherwise that it was not going to be 'free'.

Of course he is entitled to charge whatever he wishes for a product that he has developed and I have no argument against that. Also, no one has the right to 'expect' that Rombinhood do all of this work for free however it 'appeared' implied and that's where the confusion, misunderstanding and disappointment lies. If it was introduced as a new 'product' rather than an 'open source project' from the beginning then there wouldn't be any issue and everyone would be jumping for joy that there was a new, promising and very competitively priced product introduced to the market.

In saying that, the end result does seem promising and I'll wait until some people have tested it and they've added datalogging. I'm definitely interested in being able to datalog with it as currently I only own a 5.5kg laptop which sucks huge balls to try and use in the car.
I can totally understand that. If something was offered and then changed to something that is not as good, I would be disappointed.

It just seems that there are a bunch of people who feel some entitlement to be given things so they can make their car go faster even though they would never give of their own time/money for the community if they had something to offer. Seems that some people feel entitlement to take from society without a thought for other people.
I agree. Whilst I'm sure there is some disappointment due to the circumstances around which it was presented people seem to hold a lot of hostility towards him which is a little unwarranted. The way I see it is that he appears to have released a good product at a good price which can only be good for the community. It's definitely not bad thing.

Whether he changed his mind midway or it was his plan all along we can only speculate, however he never took anything from anyone and the work he produced was his own and he's entitled to change his mind if he wishes.