11-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #74
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Does the ER FMIC come with upgraded intercooler piping or are you using the stock piping to run up to the ER charge pipe? I see the ER charge pipe makes use of c-clips into their design. Nice product, not sure if I should hang out for HPF or not..
In my experience HPF product development is very slow, especially for the RHD market. The final products look top shelf to me. My advice would be to choose other products that are currently available, by the time HPF starts selling RHD products you will most likely have moved off the 82 platform and on to something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
This car should be well into the 11s providing he can get all that power to the ground, perhaps an LSD is in order?
I've held an ANDRA Unlimited Drag Racing Licence (UDL) since 2003 and put down a fair few passes. In my experience people that race don't talk about what they are going to do, they talk about what they've done.

By contrast the internet is full of people who have never raced, who will never race and nevertheless have very strong opinions on all aspects of racing!

If you twisted my arm and asked me what I think my 135 can run in it's current setup, I'd say I think it can run into the 12 second zone .. somewhere between 12.000 and 12.999. Just based on what people in the US and in Australia have run.

As any reader who has followed this thread would know, I take it a step at a time and I document the facts at each stage. I add mods and then get a power run on the dyno to prove what the result was.

So with drag racing I'll take my 135 to the drag strip, get a raceweight so I know how much the car (plus me) weighs on the pass and then get some timeslips. With say eight or ten timeslips I would be very confident of saying I know the car's potential for trap speed at that track on that day with the ambient conditions.

Now WSID is my local track and the air there is usually Density Altitude of say 1,000' during the good (Winter) months. I've been there when the DA is over 3,200'. WSID gets Sydney inland weather and that means hot, humid and nowhere near sea level. What that means is a big disadvantage comapred to some US tracks like Atco, E-Town, etc. Those racetracks have DA below sea level (ie DA of -1,000') regularly and because of the far greater frequency of top fueller meets the strip is well coated with nice sticky rubber. By contrast WSID is only prepped twice or maybe three times a year.

Also my car is full weight .. in fact it's got a rollcage so it's heavier than stock, and it runs the stock diff (no LSD), stock suspension setup, stock wheels and stock runflat tyres. Then again I am running the stock 6 speed manual transmission. These are all huge disadvantages compared to the leading US guys who run tricked automatic tranny, Kosei K1 drag wheels with Hoosier or Mickey Thompson slicks, semi gutted interiors, tweaked suspension, nitrous, etc, etc.

So you can't look at the leading US ETs and think that I can reproduce them here. quite simply I'm not going to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
+1. With SO much power going to the rear wheels, I would think this is an excellent investment.

Kenny, do you have any torque numbers for the car with just PROcede? That's something I'm interested in.
JB: Yes an LSD would be my next mod if my piggy bank ever gets any more coins rattling around in it! Currently the car will trigger traction control under acceleration in the first three gears. I don't mean chirping the tyres on a fast gear change, I mean the car is pulling the tyres through under acceleration.

Please look at my earlier dyno sheets for more information on the PROcede results for my car. Or even better ask Adrian at Vishnu Australia or Peter at Advan performance who do the tuning on my car.

I can tell you that a stock 135 with just a PROcede is a weapon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Not sure how much drag racing you guys have done, but if you take a car that is capable of 11s with optimal tyres and driver, and then alter the tyres and/or driver, you can have massive losses in the time achieved (like >1s). However the MPH you achieve will not change much. Kenny has ALOT more driving experience than most, so I think it is pretty optimal in that regard... but with stock run flats and no LSD, I don't expect an 11. I think a mid 12 is more realistic.... but don't take this as making excuses... this is just the way it is with drag racing. The real test of the capability of the car is in the MPH. With the power it is making, it should pass 120+ MPH which is supercar territory. From the MPH you can then take a guess at what it would achieve with drag radials with a good 60 foot. I have not doubt the car would do an 11 with drag radials and LSD, but don't get the hopes up on street tyres.

Moral of post.... Elapsed time (ET) over 400m will have more to do with grip than power. MPH over 400m has more to do with power than grip. I think a stock 135i with drag radials, could probably do a quicker (lower ET) pass than a powerful 135I on street tyres.
Adrian: Agreed totally.

In my drag racing I have experimented extensively with very hard launches and very soft launches. I've even rolled my car off the line after missing a gear, taken a few seconds to reselect the correct gear and carried on. My car would obtain almost identical trap speeds with a blistering launch vs a 2 second bumble at the start line.

Conclusion: trap speed is an excellent indicator of the vehicle's power.

BUT the ET you get is highly dependent on many factors: the rubber you use, the skill of the driver, the track preparation, the weather, etc, etc.

That's why, if you know the raceweight of a car, all you need is the average trap speed over say ten passes .. and you can get a really accurate idea of the vehicle's power. This is why they say "the big black dyno never lies" because you can fudge a dyno sheet all day and night, but the trap speed is plain for everyone to see!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0