View Single Post
      07-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Nice write up and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I haven't driven the E46 M3, based on what I've read and heard the M3 seems much more involving to drive and the handling is on another level which slightly contradicts your opinion. I've recently added KW V2 coilovers to my 135i and it's day and night compared to stock. I find myself taking the long way home all the time and going for drives for no reason other than to take the car for a spirited drive and take corners hard and fast. Put simply, this is the best handling car I've ever driven.

If I were you, I would dead-set hold out for the 1M though. I have no regrets in purchasing the 135i. I've had it for almost 1.5 years, no HPFP failure, no faulty tail-lights, no cracked brake lights, nothing. I've been experiencing long cranks for the past 8,000km's but no CES light... yet. Anyways, my point is that if I was purchasing a car today I would hold out for the 1M as I know in a year from now I'd be spewing. You are in a different position than those of us who have had this car for a couple years.

The 1M will address all the flaws in an otherwise already fantastic car being the 135i. The M3 will finally be dethroned and it's by none other than BMW themself. In purely a performance orientated terms, the 335i dominated it's competitors since it's introduction to the market, just like the M3. In the end it took another BMW to dethrone it. If you want the better performing car than the 335i get the 135i, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Who would want to the bigger, slower and heavier car that costs more money?

Sure the M5 is one hell of a monster compared to the M3 but many enthusiasts experience the same rush for a fraction of the cost in the M3. I have no doubt the 1M will be the most sensible choice for the hardcore enthusiast over the M3. It's going to be Pure M.

From an economical standpoint you could buy a 135i and do a couple mods and replicate close to what the 1M will be for a fraction of the cost. JB3 and set of coilovers plus sway will do wonders. I guess you need to work out what you want first. You've already got a weapon of a car in your stable, there is no harm in holding out for 6 months to place an order for what I think will be the best car BMW has made in a long time. Or alternatively, you could throw a supercharger on your E46 M3 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0