View Single Post
      06-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
rogbmw - I agree with everything you said, except...

BMW never called the S70 V12 in the 850 CSi an //M model. The 850 CSi engine did say: Powered by //M - on it though.

One nice thing about the Germans is they don't get caught up into this Model Year game. When car shopping people ask what is the buid date, so they know the specs of the car. And they also go by the first date teh car was registered - IF it is a used or demo car.

Dackel
Research shows the 850 CSi VIN actually designates the car as being produced by BMW Motorsport. The beginning of the BMW 850 CSi VIN starts with WBSEG - which at the time was the BMW Vin designation for cars specifically produced by BMW Motorsports. Also, the S70 V12 engine was actually specifically produced by BMW Motorsport. Many German registration forms list the 850 CSi as a M8, although there was one car actually designated the M8 by BMW - the prototype is still owned by BMW.

My first BMW - purchased while stationed overseas in the Navy, was a 1973 3.0 Cs. The european registration said the car was a 1975 even though the car was produced by BMW in 1973. I don't know if it is still true - but then the car was said to be the model year when it was sold, not produced. When I brought it back to the US, I had to have the year changed on the Title to reflect the production date of the car.

I personally like a driver's oriented car - hence the purchase of the 1M. It will be my daily car - our Alpina B12 will be the weekend garage queen.

I started the tread because there was so much speculation on "what if" and "how many". Bottom line - I like the review the car has had now that it is out, and I can't wait to start driving mine all the time.
Appreciate 0