Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
There was 45hp between the E30 and E36 in the US 15yrs ago.
There was 49 between the E30 and E36 EU + two cylinders.
There was 12 between the E36 and E46.
There was 70 between the E46 and E92 + two cylinders........

What is so bad with the 30+hp using the same engine? We know it is going to be detuned. Plus this is the base design for the new M3 engine.........

T
You are right about that part, but you are comparing M generations against each other. When you compare non-M to M version the gap is ALOT wider and as the years have gone by its gone from a gap of approximately 22HP to 114HP. This is the reason why some people are disappointed. The handling is leaps better than the 135i I'm sure, but 30HP is kind of like . . . okay that's cool. Most enthusiasts are going to buy this car for its handling and other performance features and look beyond specs as I would too if I were in the market, but looking at where the 1M was based off of the engine seems like an afterthought. When more specs are released about this engine are released maybe more will change their mind. I don't care either way anymore. It might be a good thing it shares so much in common with the N54 from the 135i because it will be easy to modify from the get go.