Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Read the thread..

The argument was how BMW handles an additional +50ft-lbs of torque -vs- how a piggyback handles it. BMW de-stresses the engine, so that when adding additional load, it doesn't hinder the engine life-long durability. This is true on several occasions, including allowing Dinan to tune,
I don't think that BMW endorses Dinan in any way, nor do they "allow" Dinan to tune the N54 platform under a BMW warranty. I met Steve Dinan a year ago at a local dealer seminar and he has business relationships with select individual dealerhships, but not with BMW.

The first thing Dinan does is to call BMW and de-register your warranty.

Once you are tuned via Dinan, they take over your engine warranty from BMW.

Dinan doesn't do anything radical to destress the engine in order to prepare it for more boost.

It's mostly a software upgrade. You can also purchase their 3rd party intercooler and oil cooler if you like being price raped......but that is no engineering feat.

Most of the members who mod on here do exactly the same thing already so how is adding on aftermarket parts an example of good engineering? It's just common tuning sense that has been around for decades.

As far as I am concerned, the only significant change going on via BMW is the secondary cooling system they attached to the power kit and the fact that they pulled out a couple of degrees from the timing curve.

That was an example of good engineering that takes into account the additional heat being generated, but it's not like they threw in lower compression pistons or swapped out engine internals to compensate for the added boost.

I guess you missed some of the earlier posts that indicated people who had purchased the BMW power kit experiencing limp modes during the initial releases.

And don't even get me going on that other famous example of BMW engineering - HPFP anyone?

In BMW we trust

Last edited by Ilma; 12-12-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0