05-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #367
IDriveACamryNow
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
I mean the OEM radiator (part no 17117558480) retails for $190 USD plus shipping.
Sorry, as its the same price as the secondary radiator I am amazed that its the same price!! Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Agreed, towards the end of the day at my last track day I felt like the transmission was the weak point also. Something will definitely need to be done but I thought it was something else at the time and put it down to overheating and possibly bad fuel. How much do you think a stand alone trans cooler will cost? I would also like something aftermarket for a radiator hence why I requested Advan to look into improving upon BMW's PPK design as there's a place for it in the air duct. The stock radiator is partly responsible for cooling the AT trans.
From my understanding (and open to correction) 15% of the radiators surface area is dedicated to the AT heat exchanger which I think is at the bottom. Rather than be cooled by fresh, cool air like the oil cooler, the AT relies on the overall temperature of the radiator to keep it cool. If you radiator is struggling to keep water temps down than its not going to work well with the atf and likely to make matters worse. And unlike the water cooling, the ATF doesnt have oil cooling to assist it.

My belief is that if you can cool the AT fluid before it gets to the radiator then it will transfer less heat to it and therefore even assist in keeping water temps down - maybe peter or justin could clarify that.
Appreciate 0