11-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
you noticed a difference from changing to 0w40? come on man, with the temps our cars get to (120c+ TRACK temps ) anything past that, its basically overheating. what do you think your oil will look like at that temperature. 5w30 or 40 is what you need especially if you tend to drive the BMW "properly" I run 40 in my N52 which yes, is a naturally aspirated engine. however, turbo engines run hotter then naturally aspirated. this makes a case for the proper oil even more important. mobil 1 is shit, its watered down and not good protection.
I switched from Mobil-1 0w40 European Blend(US oil, bought on base at the PX here in Germany ~$8 per liter) LL1 oil and I switched to Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL4 oil(German made, bought in a German store for ~$10 USd per liter).

I noticed on cold start, that my 135i's engine was far quieter with the Castrol then with the Mobil-1. Same oil viscosity. The engine has less of a metallic clicking noise on cold start in my garage.

I also noticed the oil temp gauge would read 1.5 to 2 needle widths colder with the Castrol.

That is why I switched to using German Castrol oil.

When I push the car on the Autobahn(over ~265 to 285 kph) or when I drive thru the Alps like going up Stelvio Pass or Sella Pass... my MAX oil temps are just above 260'F(just to the right of the middle)on my oil temp gauge.

Dack
Appreciate 0